Course DescriptionBack to Course List
Everyone has a different response to pain. Healthcare professionals need to be aware that pain is whatever the person experiencing pain says it is. Pain is typically divided into two classifications: acute and chronic, and the three primary types are nociceptive pain, non-nociceptive pain, and psychogenic pain. Treatments for pain are drug-based and non-drug based and there are varied types and dosing regimens of pain medication. While Certified Nursing Assistants do not administer pain medications, they need to have a basic knowledge and familiarity with commonly used pain medications and their side effects. Importantly, the Certified Nursing Assistant is able to deliver comfort measures to patients experiencing pain to help alleviate their symptoms and to enhance their feeling that the health team cares about their pain.
- Describe two classifications of pain.
- Describe at least 3 factors that influence pain.
- Describe the main aspects of the pain assessment.
- Provide an example of non-pharmacological pain therapy.
- Recognizing and Defining Pain
- Causes of Pain
- Pain Assessment
- Pain Treatment
- Case Study - Non-pharmacological Pain Management